Close

Join the Cowdray Estate Newsletter

Keep informed about the latest Cowdray news and events, sent direct to your email inbox.

The Cowdray Estate takes your privacy very seriously indeed, and will never pass on your details to third parties.

A holistic estate which cares about the land ...

Responsible management of our forestry
Cowdray Forestry Department

Forestry Department

The Estate is centred around Midhurst in West Sussex and extends to about 7,500 hectares, of which 36% is woodland, three times the national average.

Conifers form 53%, broadleaf high forest 25%, Chestnut coppice 14% with the other 8% being made up of shrub and bare areas etc.

Species

The main conifer species are Douglas Fir, Norway Spruce, Corsican Pine and Scots Pine, which between them account for 90%, with the remaining 10% made up of Larch, Hemlock, Cedar and other firs. The Broadleaves are Oak and Ash on the heavier soils with Beech being mostly confined to the chalk of the Downs.

Cowdray Estate forestry

The Cowdray forestry team in action

Production

The primary object of management is the production of quality timber from woods that have a well-managed look and can also provide benefits for wildlife. The chief means of attaining our goal as far as timber is concerned is through thinnings.

There is currently an annual clearfell and replanting programme of 20 hectares and an annual thinning programme of 170 hectares. The average annual timber production over the past five years has been 10,000 cubic metres.

Products

On a retail level we sell woodchips, chestnut fencing materials, rustic poles etc.

Oak leaves

Following our recent purchase of a mobile bandsaw we are now able to supply sawn timber such as gate posts, sleepers, boards & slabwood. We specialise in sawing larch and Douglas Fir, two species noted for their natural durability.

The Cowdray Estate supplies Sawn Softwood timber from our Estate, near Midhurst, West Sussex, the main species being Larch, Douglas Fir, Western Red Cedar. Sleepers, cladding, feather-edged boards, fencing, carcassing etc. 2-6m lengths.

Contact

For further information or orders please contact our Head Forester – Donald Macdonald at the Estate Office or on his mobile 07860 962098 – E-Mail – headforester@nullcowdray.co.uk or use online enquiry form

Web design by 247 Creative

Scroll to top