Cowdray Estate Wild Venison is back in season on our butcher’s counter. We’ve picked a recipe which is quick and easy and will ensure you enjoy the full flavour of this delicious meat.
Fillet of Venison
- Fillet or loin of Cowdray venison
- Red wine
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- Celery stick
- Rosebud redcurrant jelly
- Marinade the fillet/loin overnight in red wine, a little port if you have any, 2 garlic cloves (crushed), chopped onion, sliced carrot, stick of celery and rosemary. You could also add some crushed juniper berries.
- Brown one side over a high heat in half oil, half butter, then lower the heat and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Turn the heat up and do the other side.
- Keep the venison warm on a plate, deglaze the pan with the marinade, add a couple of teaspoons of reducurrant/other jelly, melt, then gradually whisk in 25g butter which will thicken the sauce slightly.
Serve with and mashed potato and steamed vegetables.
Back to News