An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Parks, Gardens and Fencing Operative to join the Cowdray Parks and Gardens team.
The Cowdray Estate comprises 16,000 acres of property, (land and buildings) in and around Midhurst, West Sussex. The Parks, Gardens and Events team operative role is someone who assists in the general maintenance of the Estate, its grounds, properties, public areas and who assists with the setting up, preparations, de-rigging, storing equipment, assisting with furniture moving and using plant machinery for events held across the Estate.
About the role:
To ensure adequate and appropriate fencing maintenance and event work, is completed for Cowdray Estate, on its prime sites.
Maintain the gardens and grounds, in line with Cowdray Estate policies, to the highest possible condition, working with the Parks, Gardens and Events Team.
- Days: five days per week. including weekend work.
- Hours: 7.30am – 5.00pm, 45 hours per week.
- Holiday entitlement: 21 days annual leave, plus eight Bank Holiday days.
Your role will include the following:
- Your main role will be to carry out all fencing and gate projects across the Estate.
- To provide a maintenance service to ensure that all fencing across the Estate is kept up to the highest expected standards in regards to general repairs and replacement of fencing sections throughout the Estate.
- The role includes being the Parks and Gardens Department’s handyman, where you will be expected to carry out handyman works across the Estate to assist all Departments and Enterprises in delivering what is required.
- In your role you will be asked to assist in new landscaping works and projects that the Parks and Gardens Team are asked to deliver.
- Your role also includes working and maintaining all Estate, Footpaths and Bridleways, which require repair works to paths, fence-lines, gates, Stiles and bridges, including the clearance of any vegetation and scrub from these areas. The Estate assists the WSCC Footpaths and Bridleway teams in the upkeep of all these areas as Landlords.
- To help with the constant maintenance, development and improvement of The Cowdray Estate, Cowdray Park, all other Departments and Enterprises.
- Mowing, landscaping, lawn irrigation, weeding, grass cutting, strimming & brush-cutting, general garden and facilities maintenance management.
- Lawns and verges are to be kept mown to all schedules and instructions.
- Sweeping, vacuuming, blowing and including leaf clearance to designated areas across the Estate.
- Clearing of gutters, gullies and gratings across the Estate.
- Roadside verge clearance, which includes litter and rubbish collection.
- The general upkeep, maintenance and cleaning of Estate signage.
- Estate barriers and gates, keeping these in working order, clean, tidy and clear of vegetation.
- Attend training programmes, delivered for The Cowdray Estate.
- Be aware, adhere to and commit to all Cowdray Estate Health and Safety policies, standards and requirements. To follow the Estate environmental policies with respect to sustainable working activities, including energy, water and pesticide use. Ensuring that all Parks, Gardens and Event team activities are carried out in line with these policies for the protection of the workforce and general public. To report any hazards or accidents to appropriate personnel immediately.
- To ensure all tasks are carried out in a safe and controlled manner.
- To use correct machinery and plant items for each specific task they are designed for. Ensuring that you have the correct and up to date tickets and have attended relevant training courses and have had inductions in the use of the machinery expected to use for your work.
- Ensure safe storage of all flammable liquids in line with COSHH regulations, that all fuels and oils are only used in correctly specified areas in line with the Estates COSHH regulations.
- Keep all areas clean, tidy and cared for and to keep to our highest standards as required throughout the Estate.
- Report any dangerous branches, dead or leaning trees, dangerous or un-serviceable machinery and plant items. To prevent possible danger to colleagues, staff or guests.
- To carry out all other reasonable instructions and projects emanating from the Assistant Estate Surveyor as your line manager, in your role as part of the Parks, Gardens Team, assist in event management activities involved across all estate departments and enterprises.
- Events Team: Assist in setting up for each event – Event management and stewarding including car parking duties as scheduled and programmed in. Including – Polo and other Estate enterprises events. When works and staff are required to cover and assist in arrangements, for each event.
- Cleaning, clearing up, reinstating areas and storing of equipment and plant after Events.
- Stewarding and event management, including gate entry, car parking and traffic management.
- To assist – Estate Surveyor with all new projects as requested throughout the Cowdray Estate.
You must be prepared and able to assist in all of the above and similar tasks, and the ability to work at height (with proper training and equipment) is essential.
Some tasks will involve contact with the general public and, as a representatives of the Estate, employees are required to maintain a calm and professional manner at all times.
The role also requires someone who is willing to be flexible at all times with regard to hours and days of work. The operative must be available to work occasionally at weekends, particularly during the summer months. Standard hours are 45 hours in any one period of 7 days, including weekends and Bank Holidays.
Training in the use and operation of machinery and tools that are needed for your role, will be given and operatives are required to follow such instruction at all times. Health and Safety and statutory workplace regulations must be observed at all times.
- experience of most types of fencing is essential. Including but not limited to security
- be able to work as part of a team
- be punctual, reliable and friendly
- hold a driving licence
- must have pride in your work and team
- other tickets such as tracked knocker/Mini-digger/Telehandler advantageous
- Must be flexible in works tasked with.
- Works vehicle available for the right person
- Uniform and PPE provided
- The Cowdray Estate offers a comprehensive wellbeing programme such as fortnightly massages, meditation sessions, and exercise classes.
- Discount card for our award-winning Farm Shop and Café
- Death in Service benefit.
- Calendar of social events to be enjoyed throughout the year.
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.